Girls Getaway is a camp for girls who have completed grades 1-5.
Girls Getaway is a gender-specific camp for girls who have completed grades 1-5.
There will be an informational Parent Meeting for those families who are sending campers with us – this is a great time to meet your camper’s counselors! Check the Facebook feed for details.
On Monday morning the week of camp, we will meet at Chase Oaks Church (Plano, TX) and depart for the Jan Kay Ranch camp facility in Detroit, TX on chartered buses. Warrior Week (boys camp) will be departing for their location at the same time. We will return to Chase Oaks on Friday afternoon around 4-5pm.
The girls are more than welcome to invite friends! The cabins that the girls stay in are air conditioned, and they will be grouped by grade. We do accept requests for friends to be together as long as they are in the same grade. Our counselors plan very special surprises for their girls – we feel that it makes the camp experience unique and “custom fit” for the girls.
We have a packed day of fun activities planned for the girls and we keep them very busy, which minimizes the homesick factor (see Sample Daily Schedule). The counselors read a chapter book to the girls each night to help them fall asleep. It’s a long and fun day, so it’s usually no problem getting them to go to sleep!
The health and safety of each camper is a very important part of camp. We strive to provide a safe and healthy living environment, with the best possible leadership and supervision. Qualified and certified lifeguards and recreation leaders provide safety during activities. Care and attention are given to provide enjoyable and nutritious meals throughout the week. The girls always seem to love the food.
Our camp medic will oversee all medications to campers who are under a doctor’s care.
If you have further specific questions, please feel free to contact us at your convenience. We look forward to serving your girls!
Ellen & Meredith
Ellen Loveless and Meredith Wiskur proudly serve as the Directors for Girls Getaway.
11 Random Things About Ellen Loveless:
1. I am competitive and don’t like to lose. It was problematic for me to throw Connect Four games with my children when they were little.
2. Due to an extensive surgery at age 16, I have lovely titanium hardware in my jaw. It includes: 16 screws, 2 metal plates and 2 wires. I don’t really feel my bottom lip as a result of the surgery. That said, if you ever see me with food on my lip while I’m eating – please try not to point and laugh or make up nicknames (no, I do not particularly care for Professor Numb Chin or any derivative of that name :-)).
3. I love being a mom to Lauren & Dylan. I praise God for choosing me to be their mother. They are both so incredible! I have the sweetest dog ever named Sully. He is child #3.
4. My favorite drink is a Route 44 Cherry Vanilla Diet Coke from Sonic.
5. My socks almost never match each other. Additionally, if I don’t have any of mine clean, I grab Jason’s (much to his dismay).
6. I am a walking calendar savant. I can tell you both when stuff is and what day it is on. It weirds out my co-workers just a little. I also have the ability to remember phone numbers extremely well and can still tell you the number for Olive Garden in College Station, TX from my time in Aggieland
7. I love being the Elementary Kidzone Pastor at Chase Oaks Church.
8. I got my first car for Christmas in 1988 when I was 16. It was a 1983 blue Honda Prelude. I would sometimes drive around with the heat blasting and sunroof open.
9. I have a degree in Speech Communications from Texas A&M. While a student there, I met my wonderful husband Jason. I am so thankful for the love, leadership and laughter he brings to our family.
10. I am double jointed in my elbows. This came in handy when I needed to give my children their sippy cups in the car when they were sitting right behind the driver’s side. It has also come in handy when I wanted to gross my husband out.
11. I love Jesus! I love that He loves me and wants to use me for His glory.
Email Ellen at email@example.com
11 Random Things About Meredith Wiskur:
1. My husband is my high school sweetheart. We met when I was a Junior and he was a cool Senior. He took me to El Chico and to see Edward Scissor Hands…yikes, that was a long time ago!
2. I was run over by a car….by my SISTER! I survived.
3. I secretly would like to be an actress, but I guess the secret is out now.
4. My first car was a gold Toyota Cressida with a sunroof and a kickin’ bass. I had it for about a year before it was totaled. Not my fault though, I was hit broadside by someone who ran a red light going 50 mph. That was the year that I truly realized my faith in God.
5. I have two beautiful little girls who say I celebrate too much when I win at UNO.
6. I am a Registered Nurse. I never in a million years thought I would want to do anything medical until my senior year of high school. I love what I do!!
7. I was in Drill Team when I was in High School. I still remember our kick routine, but don’t ask me to perform it for you, it wouldn’t be pretty.
8. I grew up spending my summers in Cuchara, Colorado. I love the Mountains in the summertime, especially in August when it’s 100 degrees here in Texas.
9. I love planning surprises but I don’t like being surprised. I recently realized that my youngest daughter is a lot like her momma!
10. I wrote a children’s story about Grace the Pocket Mouse…it hasn’t been published, but we used it one year at camp.
11. I LOVED girls camp when I was young. I was a camper 1st through 6th grade and then went on to be a junior counselor. It had a huge impact on my life and I am blessed to be able to share it with other young girls. My hope is that their lives will be changed because of it too.
Email Meredith at firstname.lastname@example.org